Made in Chelsea star and sailing enthusiast, Lucy Watson, officially opened the 62nd annual London Boat Show today at ExCeL London. Running for 10 days between Friday 8 and Sunday 17 January, this year’s Show is set to be the biggest the Capital has ever seen.
A place for adventures to start, pioneers to meet and innovation to shine, the London Boat Show features an exciting program of exhibitors from the good to the great including Pearl Motor Yachts, Garmin, Adidas Sailing, Sunsail and Dad’s Boats – a family-run pedal boat builder. Almost 400 boats are on Show with nearly 100 of them making their debuts.
Creating the biggest splash of all is the Sunseeker 131 Yacht, a tri-deck 40 metre long superyacht costing in excess of £16 million – the biggest boat to ever make its world debut at the London Boat Show.
Murray Ellis, Managing Director of British Marine Boat Shows, comments: “We are delighted to have officially opened the 2016 London Boat Show and have a fantastic line up of events taking place over the next ten days. At the heart of one of the world’s leading capital cities, we are showcasing the rich heritage of British boating and Britain’s leading innovations at this iconic Boat Show. Visitors will be able to re-live the great moments of our time whilst discovering the technologies of the future which will revolutionise the way we get out on the water.”
Attracting an international audience, the Show is open to all and offers up the opportunity to climb aboard and experience life on a luxury yacht. Similarly, a number of iconic historic boats will also make an appearance including SB Melissa, a beautifully refurbished 19th century sailing barge and Massey Shaw, a 1935 vessel that rescued more than 500 troops from the beaches of Dunkirk.
Other highlights at this year’s Show include:
- 1960’s Revival – transporting visitors back to the swinging 60’s. Features will include a Fairey Huntsman 28, an Amphicar, a Jaguar E-Type, a Riva Junior and a Mirror Dinghy
- Mediterranean Bay – a purpose-built pool spanning 500sqm overlooked by a Mediterranean-themed village, it is an on the water ‘play area’ for beginners and experienced skippers alike
- Superyacht UK Young Designer Competition (13-14 January) – university design students will be hand drawing their own concept yachts at the Show itself to be judged by industry experts. One lucky winner will receive a four week internship at the famous Pendennis Shipyard
London Boat Show Theatre – featuring some of the world’s most highly acclaimed boating experts talking on topics ranging from technology and innovations, to engine maintenance and around the world expeditions:
- America’s Cup commentator, Tucker Thompson
- Volvo Ocean Race winner, Ian Walker
- Land Rover BAR’s Fitness Coach, Ben Williams
- Record-breaking female sailor, Dee Caffari MBE
The London Boat Show takes place from 8 -17 January 2016 at ExCeL London. Tickets are available online and on the door, starting from £10, with two children 15 or under going free with each adult.
To purchase tickets, and for further information, visit: www.londonboatshow.com.